Sign Up!







Sign up to be the 1st to access the all new On the Road to Queendom!


* indicates required





Powered by MailChimp












Oct 18, 2010

Ask Writing Addict


 Hello Queendom,
                          I'm contacting you because I really need some support about my locks that thinned out because of over twisting. I shaved the sides off and left the top of my hair to cover the excessive thinning. I don't think the hair will grow back and I need to know if you know of any support groups that I can go to on the internet. I'm so depressed about it.

~Signed,
VM



Hi VM,

I am so sorry that you have experienced this, from over twisting. But the good news is that you know what caused the alopecia, this is the first step. I would have to advise you to go to see a dermatologist, so the doctor can tell you if the follicles of your hair is infected, or if you have permanent hair loss or not. I would also implore you to refrain from any twisting of your roots until you are comfortable with the amount of hair growth which may occur from just leaving your hair 'alone'.  I do not twist my locs every time I wash. I twist once a month. Its important that we get out of the habit of twisting our locs too close to the root, to avoid any stray hairs, or frizz. The point of locs are to actually allow your scalp to breathe, free yourself from excessive grooming, and products. So again, my advice is the following:

  1. Take a multivitamin everyday.
  2. Drink plenty of water. 
  3. Do not twist your locs, become comfortable with freeforming for a while. 
  4. Invest in some Jamaican Black Castor Oil, and massage your scalp with it weekly.
  5. Exercise to boost your endorphins, to avoid depression.
  6. Seek a reputable dermatologist to give you a proper diagnosis.
There are support groups for traction alopecia; the most reputable one being the National Alopecia Areata Foundation, click here for the link. Also, remember our hair does not define us. It does not make us who we are, our beauty comes from the inside. No matter if you rock it bald, or if it grows back. Remember who you are is on the inside! You are beautiful, so find a way to pull what is on the inside outward. Nice scarves, big earrings, cute caps, rocking makeup, shew a cute wig would work if you are that self-conscious. But don't let something like hair steal your joy!


xxoo
Stay Blessed & Happy Locing!

No comments: