Sign Up!







Sign up to be the 1st to access the all new On the Road to Queendom!


* indicates required





Powered by MailChimp












Aug 10, 2009

Readers Emails Answered



Dear Writing Addict,

Peace! My name is Jessica and I just recently got my hair loc'd (7/3/09) for the first time. I transitioned from perm to natural hair from May 08-Nov 08 when I cut off all the permed hair.

While I am happy and excited about this new stage of my life I am also kind of down too. My hair on the top and sides is so thin and I worry that my hair wil never get to the point where I just love it. My loctitian explained that it normally takes 6 months to a year for loc'd hair to really form and mature? So hopefully my hair will do that. I love the feel, look and texture of natural hair i just hope that my hair will get there.

My thin hair has more to do with genes than anything else but I wanted to know if there are any safe products that will help with this problem.
------------------
Dear Jessica,

Hi Honey & Welcome to On the Road to Queendom,

I want to congratulate you on your decision to become loc'd that's wonderful! So that I wont delay any longer let me get right to the point. When it comes to thin hair, being natural is a wonderful way to allow your hair to thicken up and be in its natural state. Also if it is genes that you get thinness from then you will have to work a bit harder to get some fullness and thickness to your hair. Here are a view things you can do:

Vitamin E, take daily

There must be adequate nutrients and vitamins to prevent hair loss, and for the hair to grow properly. If you want hair to grow faster, be sure to consume vitamins that will aid in providing more oxygen to the scalp area, and hence promoting growth.

For the strands to grow long, there are a variety of vitamins that will come in helpful. Some examples of useful substances include vitamin C, Biotin, Niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12, as well as vitamin E. Biotin helps to keep hair follicles healthy, and vitamin B helps prevent hair loss and graying.
Vitamin E has been found to be very effective in treating hair. It acts as an antioxidant that encourages blood circulation to the scalp area. This process means that more oxygen can be supplied to the hair cells. The increase in oxygen levels increase the life span of the cells as the cells get more nourishment.


Castor Oil, do not ingest it (unless you need to, lol) use it as a scalp oil.

Purchase a bottle of Castor oil from your local grocery store or pharmacy. Castor oil should be relatively easy to find as it is often used as an alternative to laxatives. Many people also use it to treat certain skin disorders.

Apply the Castor oil directly to your scalp and the roots of your hair. Don't rub the Castor oil through the rest of your hair, as it may be difficult to wash out due to its consistency. However, you can rub it to the end of the twists if you do so lightly.

There is a product called Jamaican black Castor Oil. Not sure where you can find it but I assume in a health food store, or online. Some people in the Long Hair Forums swear by it, although I have never tried it.


Panthenol

Use shampoos and conditioners that contain panthenol. Panthenol increases luster, aids in moisture retention, and increases elasticity.

I can't stress enough the importance of drinking your 8 glasses of water a day, and taking your vitamins. You must take care of your body for it to take care of you!

I do hope this helps and you become a member of On the Road to Queendom!


Stay Blessed & Happy Locing!

No comments: