Sign Up!







Sign up to be the 1st to access the all new On the Road to Queendom!


* indicates required





Powered by MailChimp












Sep 7, 2010

A Note From Writing Addict



So you wanna rock locs huh? Well are you ready for all that comes with it? Can you handle criticism, questions like, "Why do you wear your hair like slaves did back in the day?" Yes I actually got asked that repeatedly! Are you ready for people to argue with you and tell you that you may be undatable, or you will never secure a good job? Well, I have heard it all. If I did not have self-confidence nor self-esteem I wouldn't have locs right now! Especially during my baby twists stage, or the in between stage where the locs were standing all over my head, refusing to be tamed. Shoot, I have a darling hubby, and nice job, and a budding writing career. My locs hasn't had anything to do with it. Its not about the hair its the person, the locs just put the icing on the cake.

What I am saying is that we are living in a world where being superficial, will get you put on faster than being yourself. Where natural beauty is frowned upon, and commercials where to buy the premium 28" Indian Remy hair blasts all over our radio waves!  You have to walk tall, when you are rocking the locs! You have to hold your head up and smile curtly, then sweetly at the naysayer, and disbelievers!

You have to ignore the stares from people who just don't get it, or from the non-ethnic people who can't for the life of them understand how your hair "got that way."

Then dating is a whole nother' story. Honey if you don't have a mate who is supportive you have a whole nother' bag of worms to contend with. When I first started rocking the locs a guy I used to date, would continuously tell me how pretty I could be or would be if I would just take those "things" down. Hmph, I looked at him, and sent his ass packing. What are you doing if you are in this situation? Are you allowing someone to dictate how you should wear your hair?

What I am saying is you have to find the power, and strength within you to live your life natural and free. Do not allow anyone to make you feel less just because they are ignorant as hell about hair. Because at the end of the day it is your choice. But don't choose half-assed. Be bold daring and above all be the Queen that you are.

So if you are dealing with ignorance you don't stoop to their level...you just smile sweetly, take a long look at the crown of their head, look them square in the eyes and tell them this is how you choose to wear your hear, that they don't have to like, but they will respect it. Then turn on your heels and switch away!

xxoo
Stay Blessed & Happy Locing!

7 comments:

ashazulu said...

Greetings my sista....well said...well done ! Everything thing you have touched on in this short article...I've been tru it and done it all for the past 21yrs.
Going/growing natural is a challenge thats worth it all for with it comes a different type of discipline,self-respect, self-worth and overall growth, be it spiritual or other wise.

This type of resistance from others also comes in the form of envy and jealousy because of the strength and gumption we are blessed with. We posess a unique beauty that intimidates even our own brothers and sista's who has also faced the same struggle...yet forget where they came from and in so doing...if we are not strong..it can rock our confidence even worst than a non natural...non believer.

Lately i have been faced with a challenge to my naturalness that almost rocked my foundation of self esteem and strength.. My strong belief in everything i stand for and my faith in Jah is keeping me strong so i can continue my journey with more confidence and stronger than before.....

You are truely a queen and truely blessed.Keep writing with great wisdom.....

One Luv,

Asha Zulu Mandela

Epek said...

I like this, tell em sista! lol

Unknown said...

Hi,

I am new to your site ...and let me tell you it is amazing!!!...What you do here is truly inspirational. Everything from the articles you write domestic violence,etc to the beautiful locs you show. I am natural and have been for little over a year. I have thought about locking at some point ...just needed that inspiration...and, I have found it! I haven't totally made up my mind on locking. but, I am seriously considering.

Thanks so very much for the education and beauty you bring to this site...take care:)

zainab1
AuNaturale007.blogspot.com

Toshia "Writing Addict" Shaw said...

Hi everyone! Thank you for the encouraging and uplifting words you share. It is truly appreciated and I am forever thankful. You are the reason I blog!

xxoo

MACC MITTENZZ said...

NICE PIECE MA.. BUT IM STILL GONNA GO HARD WITH MY LOCS AND ENCOURAGE ANYONE ELSE WHO FEELS INTERESTED ESPECIALLY WOMEN.. LOL (I LOVE AU NATURAL ESPECIALLY SUM LOCS) .. BUT ONCE AGAIN GOOD READ.. WIT YO SEXI LIPS.. :-)

MACC MITTENZZ said...

NICE PIECE MA.. BUT IM STILL GONNA GO HARD WITH MY LOCS AND ENCOURAGE ANYONE ELSE WHO FEELS INTERESTED ESPECIALLY WOMEN.. LOL (I LOVE AU NATURAL ESPECIALLY SUM LOCS) .. BUT ONCE AGAIN GOOD READ.. WIT YO SEXI LIPS.. :-)

Toshia "Writing Addict" Shaw said...

Thank you Macc Mittenzz & Sincere I am just trying to encourage our Queens out here!