Sign Up!







Sign up to be the 1st to access the all new On the Road to Queendom!


* indicates required





Powered by MailChimp












Sep 30, 2009

Sway....and Natural Hair

Queen Marsha of Naturally Me, emailed me about Sway. Sway is the Toronto, Canadian premier lifestyle magazine for African – and Caribbean Canadians. Its mission is to entertain, empower and educate, with a voice that reflects the successes, accomplishments, and pride of Canada’s Black communities. This magazine is impressive, colorful, and indeed tastefully done. With that being said, they are chiming in on the "Natural Hair" thing as well. They have featured four beautiful black beauties who explain their style of choice, and their feelings about their hair. However, they do have one weave wearing sister who tells us why she chooses to rock the weave, how she feels without it, and her perception on why it is needed. I respect everyone's feelings, and if this is how this sister feels well kudos to her. I just don't want any Queen thinking that they need or have to rock long hair, straight hair, or weaves to get further in life. Why? because I am a testament that with hard work, determination, and taking care of your own, and loving yourself will get you just as far. Honey, I am the only African-American, and African-American woman in my department, and I ain't trying to brag, just stating facts here; I hold a minor position of power...so there. I guess that's how it is in Toronto but not in the States! With that being said check out this interview, and chime in on Kandyce!

Melissa currently has lightened locks that she wears in layers. She has had dreads for almost seven years now. Before that she had tried every hairstyle under the moon: natural, curly, extensions, weaves, pressed, texturized and even going purple. Future plans for this hair chameleon? "Go with the flow and take it easy."

My hair is: "There. I'm pretty easy-going. I don't fuss too much. I mainly go to salons for manicures, pedicures and laughs."

my hair story: "I grew up with three other women, so hair was big in our house! I've always loved trying new styles, like my sisters, but I was very athletic in school, so pressing my hair all the time was not an option. Extensions were far easier to manage and caused less damage than heat processing. In general, I've always thought of my hair as something fun. It's a great way to express myself; from having purple braids, a gold mohawk, to now going more natural with locks."

I love when my hair is: "Floating around me in the ocean. It feels free. I feel in touch with nature and love the weightlessness of the water."

Let's get political: "I think women of colour are in a great position to make many choices with their hair. We can wear it straight, curly, in braids, locks or simply go bald. Anything goes and we still look fabulous. Hair is one aspect of our beauty that goes far deeper than our roots."

Tress tip: "I like to keep it simple. I mainly use olive oil in the dry winter months or after a day of surfing in the summer."


Kandyce has worn her hair straight with a weave for the last three years. Before that, she went short and natural. Although she switches between adding a weave and going without, she says she would never try wigs.

My hair is: "Beautiful. It is what accentuates my beauty."

my hair story: "Dealing with my hair has been difficult. When I was around 16, I used to dye my hair. Then one day it started breaking off. I had to cut it until I only had a short layer of hair on my head. It was the most horrible experience of my life. I couldn't leave my house without feeling like a boy. I didn't feel like a female. I didn't get any attention from boys. It was mainly people's perceptions of me that was difficult... I started to overcompensate for my lack of hair. I would always have to dress up, wear makeup or put on big earrings before I left my house. It was stressful; I couldn't have a casual day."

I love when my hair is: "Long. I think length is most important. The longer it is, the more feminine I feel. Long hair just shapes my face better. When it's long I feel more confident and pretty."

Let's get political: "Black women's hair is so controversial because it challenges the conventional ideals of beauty. People always say [when you straighten your hair or wear weaves] you want to be like white girls. My response to that? White girls wear weaves and dye their hair too! The majority of white girls with blond hair aren't natural blonds. The thing is, physical appearance is directly correlated to success.

Statistics prove that attractive people do better in life and in their careers. Hair plays a central role in how you look. If you want to achieve a conventional standard of success you must subscribe to the conventional standards of beauty."

Tress tip: "Before washing my hair I use a stimulating scalp serum. After that I exfoliate my scalp. It really helps my natural hair grow and stay healthy."

Thank you Queen Marsha for keeping us current! To read the whole story, and visit Sway click here!
http://swaymag.ca/beauty1.php

Stay Blessed & Happy Locing!

No comments: