Sign Up!







Sign up to be the 1st to access the all new On the Road to Queendom!


* indicates required





Powered by MailChimp












Jul 9, 2009

To Bee or Not to Beeswax...

Let's visit the dreaded Beeswax question....to Beeswax or not to beeswax that is the question.

Well to be honest, when my 1st set of locs were installed the loctician used a mixture of beeswax & ampro styling gel to get my tiny twists to hold. This concoction held my highly resistant hair and allowed the twists to form and lay against my scalp. So, here is my opinion:

I believe beeswax should only be used if it is to start brand new babies...that is twists that are 1 inch to about 2 inches. I do not think it should be used beyond that point.

Beeswax attracts dirt, and lint in your locs. It is damn near almost impossible to get that mess out of your hair trust me! So, it should never be used alone, it should be mixed with something else to give you a good hold. I personally started my 2nd set of locs with Shea butter & ampro protein gel. It worked just as well, without the waxy feel.

Also, if you must use Beeswax, or you just don't trust my judgment (insert side eye here), then make sure it is 100% pure beeswax and not the above mess. You have to melt 100% beeswax down, and risk being burned....(yea, I don't know anything about that, hee hee), a lot of products claim to be 100% but contain mucho petroleum which we do not need in our hair. You know petroleum attracts dirt!

2 comments:

Naturigurl said...

Or you could use Knotty Boy dread wax . Their stuff is all natural with absolutely no petroleum or mineral oils in their product. I dont use it anymore but I did in the beginning and it smells wonderful. They also have gels too

http://www.knottyboy.com/

Toshia "Writing Addict" Shaw said...

Thank you Queen for this information! Other Queen's need this info..

Smooches