Sign Up!







Sign up to be the 1st to access the all new On the Road to Queendom!


* indicates required





Powered by MailChimp












Nov 18, 2009

White Girl Hair

You Queens know I frequent the gym at least 3xs a week. Well, today was a gym day and also a hair wash day. Yep you guessed it! I wash my locs at the gym because I like to use up their water! LOL I know, I know I ain't right. Anyhow, I was just going about my business over at the mirrors trying to squeeze excess water out of my locs, and using my cute pink hair dryer to dry my scalp area: when a white woman who was drying her hair goes, "Excuse me, but is all that your hair? No extensions or weave or anything?" I deeply sigh because well, I have to endure this question all the time. "Why yes it is all...my hair." You know what was next, "Well that's just amazing, how long have you been growing it?" I'm thinking, 'what's so damn amazing about a black girl with long hair?' I tell her, "I've been growing it for 8 years." I turn my dryer back on because I ain't about to have this conversation with some older white woman at 7:30 in the damn morning.

Then she says it..."Well I envy you not having to wash your hair all of the time. I mean most black women say they want hair like white women but they just don't know how time consuming it is. It's a pain!"

I just smile and continue on my lil business. Seriously lady? Seriously most black women want white woman hair? What could I say? That's what the media portrays, that's what Chris Rock showed on the damn movie screen, that we black women are dying to have 'white girl hair.'

I really wanted to turn around and march right over to her and yell, "Lady all of us black women don't want no stringy white girl hair! We black women love our natural, kinky, curly, wavy hair!" But I can't say that now can I.

So I continue my ritual wrap my shit up on top of my head get dressed, and marched my happy ass right on outta that locker room.

P.S. I am in no way prejudice you all know this; but this is how I felt this morning. So for all of you who take offense of me saying stringy white girl hair...just hit the next button on the top of the blog. Thank you.


Stay Blessed & Happy Locing!

8 comments:

Nickelicious said...

All I have to say is "YOU GO GIRL"!

Pertrice said...

This is my second year with Sisterlocks and my hair is already shoulder length. Thanks for giving the upcoming locked queens a glimpse of what we are likely to encounter. Hopefully, we will be able to respond as gracefully as you did. It is amazing how easily other races want to believe that "most" black women want something they have. "Really?"

I also wanted to say that I appreciate what you do to empower us. I could not stay silent any longer. Like my mom used to say, "give credit where credit is due."

NneomaMD said...

unfortunately the woman's comments are not totally unfounded. chris rock proved that there are some black women who are willing to go at great lengths to achieve "white girl hair" in fact, i remember the first tyra hair show in which one black female said that women are jealous of her because her hair got that "white girl flow." it's so embarrassing to be defined such comments.

I wonder what kind of reaction a black female with relaxed or weaved out tresses would have displayed to this curious white woman...by the way, were there other black women within earshot of this conversation?

errghh, just recently started going to the gym and was thinking about taking the day off. this post guilted me into reconsidering.

Toshia "Writing Addict" Shaw said...

PB Max thank you a ton for your kind words, you don't know how much they mean to mean and help me to keep going!

nneoma, yes there was another black woman w/relaxed tresses in earshot, but she did not even look our way. You know Vegas is a special place. We don't have sisterhood like it is out there on the East/South, or North. Its just different.
Oh and I'm glad it got you up and in the gym! LOL :)

Karen said...

Ha ha... I totally understand where you're coming from. Very frustrating.

Melinda said...

THANK YOU TOSHIA!!! THANK YOU FOR STANDING UP AND REPRESENTING THOSE OF US THAT DO NOT ALLLLLL WANT WHITE GIRL HAIR BUT RATHER ARE HAPPY TO HAVE OUR HAIR. THANK YOU.

Aisha said...

Damn that Chris Rock! I knew this foolishness would start up.

I don't understand why people think it's okay to approach a stranger and ask if any part of them is real. That is so rude! Would she ask a white woman that? I don't like people thinking they can take liberties with Black women and ask invasive questions.

Mica said...

LOL...you ladies are funny! But Aisha, you hit the nail on the head. I work with a white girl who thinks she can touch, smell, make comments about my hair like we are down like four flat tires. I'm constantly looking at her like, WTH! If she only know the thoughts that were going on in my head. I just pray that none of it comes out like I'd like it too... actually, she may get to point if I say it that way.