Sign Up!







Sign up to be the 1st to access the all new On the Road to Queendom!


* indicates required





Powered by MailChimp












Aug 25, 2009

Braid Locs



So, my mother tried combing my daughters hair, and she experienced much of what I experience on a daily or weekly basis....work! My daughter has a lot of thickness to her hair...whew! I mean you will comb and re-comb her ponytails about 10 times before wrapping it with a scrunchy, or whatever. So she suggested that I flatiron the hair to get it to lay down. Ya'll know me, I gave her the eye. She then went on to profess just how unmanageable, and how her hair was "just like mine when I was little." She also stated this about me when I was little...."I used to be so ashamed of my poor babies hair." That's when flashbacks of the straightening comb came into my mind. I am not ashamed of my daughters hair. I treat it with much love and respect. Now, don't jump on Mamma too quick. She's from the old school where you just fire up the straightening comb to manage a little black girls' hair. But now, she keeps on wishing that she would have loc'd back 8 years ago when I did. Oh well, you live and learn right?

So, I've made my mind up. I am going to braidloc her hair. Her hair is very hard to just twist and let go, trust me I've tried. She hates me to comb it, so locs is the best route for my baby girl. I didn't want to make this decision for her. But she will be beautiful with them. I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out!


Stay Blessed & Happy Locing!

9 comments:

PhePhi said...

that sounds like a good idea. how old is ur baby?

Toshia "Writing Addict" Shaw said...

My baby is two and very much a lil Diva! hee hee

PhePhi said...

i bet she is a diva...lol. my baby is almost 3 & a few months ago i decided to braidloc her hair. but after a month, i decided to take 'em down...

be sure to post pics of ur baby's braidlocs... ;-)

Toshia "Writing Addict" Shaw said...

You took them down? Any particular reason, anything I should be aware of Queen? Do tell...

new2locs said...

I wish I would have known 18 years ago what I know now I would have given my daughter the wonderful gift of loc's. I think that's the best gift you can give your daughter. Please keep us updated on how her loc's progress. I'm following a blog of a young mother who gave her adopted daughter the gift of loc's at, I believe, the age of 4. This is a biracial family which makes it wonderful, to see a white mother give her black adopted daughter the gift of loc's & allowing the public to see her progress & grow. Both her & her loc's. If you want to check out the blog it's cassidyssisterlocks.blogspot.com

Orlandrea Wilson said...

I want to loc my daughters hair. It is already very long and extremely thick. We go through it every time I have to do it. I am thinking that braidlocs would look nice on her, and will keep the length that she likes. But she hasn't seen a picture of a child with locs so she is very hesitant.

Toshia "Writing Addict" Shaw said...

Orlandrea,

How about just twisting her hair into corkscrews? If her hair is already long & thick you sure you wanna loc it? I absolutely love the corkscrew hairstyle. I think they also call it 3 strand twists.

Welcome to the Queendom! Were happy to have you!!!

PhePhi said...

i took 'em down becz after i installed all those braids i wasn't sure that i wanted to commmit to caring for her hair in addition to mines. i knew it would take a lot of work. so my hubby & i talked about it & just decided to keep her hair braided & unprocessed. when she gets of age & wants locs i will definitely not hesitate.

u can ck out pics of the installation on my blog:

http://allaboutphe.blogspot.com/2009/06/perfect-solution-new-journey.html

Toshia "Writing Addict" Shaw said...

I hear ya, but my babygirl's hair needs to be done every week regardless of what braided style she kicks. I mean if I leave it down for ponytails they are a mess in a few hours. If I cornrow them, no matter how loose she gets tight bumps, and they need refixing like I said weekly. This to me is my only option. I am going to braid them micro. Wish me luck! I will publish pics when finished.